Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sweetness and Toughness

The rain is mood dampening...

But at home, the 2 kids are sunny as ever, chasing each other screaming around the house.. The 2 boys started to play with each other more now, while that is a good sign, it also meant that we have to put up with a lot more noise and screams. They like to chase each other around the house, not sure who is chasing or running away, but the 2 of them are running about the house quite a lot.

Xuan has been having some bouts of tantrums recently, aggravated probably with his molar teething, but I really think he needs to speak soon. But this little boy really has one strong will, compared to En who will quiet down generally when we put him on the "naughty seat", Xuan has the tenacity to keep screaming and the stubbornness to keep crying and wailing for an hour or so. Even when he is clearly exhausted, or when he probably have forgotten what got him walking in the first place, he will stop for breathe, then continue his banshee act.

Lucky, Mummy is equally stubborn, and I refuse to give in. It is a way of disciplining and he has to learn to quiet down. My greatest nightmare is about managing a wailing kid in the mall, and I think Xuan has that potential if he is not curbed from young.

Most of the times, he is the most easy and amicable and cheerful baby. But in those tantrum times, they are quite explosive. I am still learning how to manage.. he does not really listen during these meltdowns, I wonder if there are any other ways besides letting him scream it out.. Hmm.. Even if I acknowledge his anger and frustration, he does not seem to feel better.. sigh.

Well, I think Xuan currently is developing all his physical skills rather well, I do hope he starts to speak soon, that will perhaps make it easier for him to communicate and express. He recently learnt to drink from a straw, another little milestone for the little boy.

On the other hand, En has been a real sweetie pie these days.
These days, when I go to the toilets, he will want to come along.
When I asked him why, he said “Later you fall down, so I help you ok?”
He still remembers that I fell in the toilet some weeks back, he never fails to amaze me sometimes.

And after dinner everyday, he will choose a fruit for me . The other evening, when we were sharing the apple he picked, he suddenly touched my tummy and asked “Baby like apple too?” I wonder how he will feel about the baby brother when he sees the baby finally

En is also into quiet play when Xuan is asleep (Xuan sleeps 1 hr earlier than him) and 2 of us will do either of the following for about an hour:

  • Use the Magnetic shapes to make up the shape of different animals
  • Toddler Scrabble where he will sing his phonic songs as he identify the alphabets and learn the spelling of simple words lile CAT/ PIG etc.
  • Piece the wooden jigsaw of the alphabet numbers, from A-Z or 1- 10.

I feel bad sometimes that I do not seem to spend as much time developing Xuan, mainly cuz Xuan loves to sleep and eat and hence, his bedtime is much earlier. And also when we try to engage him with books, or other toys such a bricks, cooking set etc, he is always more interested in cars, so we have been indulging him and his Thomas-es, trains, railway lines which leave less room for any “education” play.

Each to his own, I believe, eventually Xuan will catch on, and I do need to figure out how to make his night time reading more regular and engaging for Xuan.

Then again, not all babies like to read, so well let’s see..

Mummies with kids who are as car obsessed like Xuan, let me know if you have tips on how to engage him more in quiet play/ other toys!

7 comments:

Skyy Low 刘乐天 said...

How sweet n ideal tha e 2 bro play together! Skyy was so lonely in his own world most of the times lor...things will change only when Le Xuan arrive n when she's big enough to engage in play w Skyy.
Thinks it v.normal for Xuan to be obsessed w all e cars now...as Skyy was once like him n still are! Soon, he'll outgrown w new obsession like Skyy do.

JoyfulJazzyMummy said...

My Jaz, being a girl, not obssessed with cars. She is not like Joy as she doesn't seem to enjoy reading. BUT Jaz is obssessed with FOOD! =P

Baby En said...

thanks Mummy...
Sky mummy, what is skyy's latest obsession?

JJmummy, i think the 2nd child is similar, they all love food.. Xuan eats more than En and can keeps on eating and eating, he is a definite foodie too, as testified by his size.. :)

Skyy Low 刘乐天 said...

Skyy is always changing his fav stuff...one moment Ben 10, next Lego then back to Transformer and many others...but eventually, go back to the basic cars again! Haha...

ShanZen - Brightsong said...

Is Xuan a Capricon? Because Shan Ee is (born 4 Jan) and I think Capris seem like the unpredictable and headstrong type.

My toddler is undergoing the trantrums phase too, she sure could whine and scream (with bits of words at that) during my absence when I go for my night class! :(

Baby En said...

Xuan is a Saggitarius..
I think maybe its a phase, could be the onset of terrible twos.. oh I dread that!
Now u made me wonder whether Bao X should be a capricorn (if he comes early) or try to make him an aquarius like me!

Still wondering, ll be a tough choice esp. if I have to induce like my previous 2!

ShanZen - Brightsong said...

I "waited it out" with Shan Ee since I hated the induction process for my first. So she came 4 days later than EDD (or she would be able to enter school a year earlir! :p).

You should try waiting it out if possible, for me it elimated the need for epidural (though I chickened a bit and got pethitine jab). For those few days, I coped by going out often (kept my mind off "stressing" when baby pops). :)

Followers