Sunday, August 09, 2009

National Day in Beijing..

Today is National Day.. and we did various stuff to feel the National Day spirit here in Beijing..

First, we went in search of Singaporean foods! NJ and I went to check out the Nonya Restaurant while the boys nap. Feel like having some local food.. Been missing the spicy SG food quite a bit. And while I was enjoying my Laksa, while Nj had Nasi lemark, we wondered if we should join the other singaporeans in the National Day celebration. There are various events, and eventually hubby decided that we will join his friends at the Singapore Embassy which is broadcasting the National Day Parade live.



We figured the boys will be excited and boy they were!! Check out the pics and the videos!


Live broadcast at the Singapore embassy
Captivated by the soldiers, planes, choppers and fireworks!!


Marching Boys..



Yummy Hainanese Chicken rice for the boys.. Yum! That is the one of the few non spicy dishes served!


Holding the boys up high for the Grand Finale photoshoot for CNA..


Enthusiastic cheerleader..

And I feel that when one lives overseas, one do feel more emotionally for one's nation. It could be pride, or nostalgia.. Whatever it is, it makes one feel very much Singaporean. I mean, while we were in singapore, we probably never really think or feel very much about being Singaporeans. However, when away, I do miss Singapore quite a lot.. from the tangibles to the intangibles. Well, before I depart, I will summarise what I really miss about Singapore and what I will miss about Beijing in another entry..

In any case, I remarked to Hubby that perhaps, nations which have a siginificant population diaspora may have a greater sense of national pride, as their overseas citizens seek the emotional connection with their nations. Something not unlike the old adage "Absence makes the heart fonder". Perhaps distance magnifies the good stuff, and diminishes the bad stuff? Well, i sure had a great time at the Singapore Embassy, as did the boys! And i do miss home much when I look at the live broadcast with all the rest of the Singaporeans and enjoying the Singapore cuisine provided!!

The boys sure enjoy the soldiers marching, the planes and choppers, the fireworks and the songs and dances. I was dreading that I will have to hover over them, but surprisingly, they were entertained by the various other Singaporeans there, and not once did various people approach us for permission to take pics withe the 2 boys.. *very weird I thought..* I mean we are getting used to being stared at by the Chinese whenever we go out with the boys, either cuz we have 2 boys which is envied in the One child policy China, or we will overhear people remarking that the boys are twins - another rarity, or having them mistake Xuan or both as gals.. But I did not expect them to be poster boys amidst Singaporeans too..


One of the students taking pic with Xuan.


Boys playing with the fellow Singaporeans there..


Xuan was a natural with strangers. He has no qualms playing with the others in the crowd, or went around the hall and returning to find us in front of the large screen.. En was a tad more cautious but had a great time playing with Xuan and joining Xuan in playing with the fellow Singaporeans.. By the end of the day, the boys were exhausted but happy on the way home.


Despite the thunderous rain this afternoon, I am glad we went. It is a real experience indeed!

3 comments:

bak chew said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate National Day. Good decision!

I woke up at 5am to try to catch the parade. I honestly don't think I would have done the same if I were back home and they told me the parade was screening at 5am that day. So, I agree that being abroad makes one act and feel different.

bp said...

agree too that we miss home n everything s'porean more! glad the boys had such fun, and the food... wow, what a spread!

Baby En said...

Indeed. Absence does make the heart fonder.

And the spread of food really make me more homesick. When away from home, I really miss our diverse variety of food, and the ease to get them back home. it is one thing we take so for granted!

Followers