Friday, April 20, 2007

A taste of being Single Mum


It's been a long time since I last blog.. Yes, now MIA and back.
Cuz since hubby been overseas, and he is still overseas now, I have my taste of what life as a single mum is like..

It is tough to be both a mum and dad..
On the emotional front, the guilt is a lot more.. so i try to wake up early and bring the boys for walk. And i try to go home early so I can play with the boys before they go to bed. And that means I work after they sleep to make up the hours.

I even feed En milk (for the longest time he refused to be fed by us) and put him to bed, something I have not done for the longest time.. and between my maid and me, we each have to tend to a boy who will wake up at night..

Still, the bonding is great.. it is an opportunity to bond exclusively with the boys..
But it also got me thinking about how important it really is to share the load of parenting.

I dunno.. is this a chicken and egg problem.. who says a family has to be made up of 2 parents to be complete? If babies are born to single parent and single parent is the norm, the family can still be complete right? However, having more people care for a kid is good - cuz it ensures that the child get adequate attention. That must be why in the primitive era, kids are brought up by the village or the clan. It is a number's game - kids just need attention a lot, and having more people means more chances of the kid's needs being met.

It can be tough to shoulder the load alone. Physically its exhausting. Emotionally, sometimes it can be just too much. Then again, the rewards can make one feel its all worth it.

Xuan Xuan is my "happy apple" .. he has suddenly become a big boy overnight, very animated and increasingly showing his naughty side. And he has started the tug of war with his brother.. refusing to let go of the ring toys when En tried to force it away from it. Definitely not one to be bullied.

As for En, he learnt how to climb up the slide and slide down the slide in the basketball court. He is babbling a lot more, although most of the terms revolve around the different types of bears (papa bear, po-po bear, ki-ki bear - which he meant his brother, ye-ye bear). He still refuses to call me mummy... but maybe he has a good reason... like save the best for last? Still, the little boy is missing his father real bad.. more on that in the next entry la..

No comments:

Followers