Friday, December 28, 2007

Kiss from a Daughter

One of the chipmunks told me that he is an avid reader of my blog - accompaniment for breakfast. I m honored - well, at least what i write seems to go on well with breakfast! Since our friend cannot understand Chinese, I changed the tune to an ang moh one, in reciprocation for his "subscription" to my blog. Must be quite unbearable to hear Jay Chou yeah!
It also relates well to the current blog entry..

*******************************************************

One Christmas Eve, I had a revelation. And it struck me rather hard.
And it all stemmed from a kiss from daughter.

We had a great Xmas eve party at NJ's cousin's place across the estate.
The kids love the company and tonnes of toys:

En was playing with Bing Bing, and the 2 of them keep shouting Ah-Bee-Ya like a secret code between them. When they see eachother, instead of saying hello, they say Ah-Bee-Ya to each other. Dun ask me what it means.. beats me

We discovered Xuan Xuan likes HUGE vehicles. As in really big cars, with big wheels and moves. Definitely a masculine interest. We approve.

Ah kim and Wee-ku's food are great, the ham was delicious and i love the pizza from Cicada's. But the real highlight came after dinner...

From a surprise Santa Claus' visit - impersonated by NJ's cousin.
But it is a very unusual Santa, lanky, and in contemporary attire of black vest, red sweater and sunglasses! And he moves like a robot and speaks like a puppet!

It was hilarious. Then again, this is the same cousin who performs and entertains his kids with private "Ra-Ra show" where only kids can attend... I will never think a business minded man in the mid 30s to have so much humor and be so sporting. Such fatherly acts bond the kids, leaving them with precious memories that can never be erased.

Some of my fondest memories of my parents are of them playing with me, scaring me or doing really sweet things for me. And they never go away.. like insidious molecules they sipped into me and remained.

I really think NJ's cousin is quite an exemplary father, a male figure who does not only work and provide for the family, but IS the heart and soul of the family, keeping them together and creating and building memories for the kids.

That is one discovery, but what really touched me was just a simple act which happened as this modern Santa hands out the presents to all the kids and elderly family in his robotic voice and actions..

When he handed the gift to his only daughter (there are so many more boys), he demanded a kiss from his daughter. And when the daughter shyly kissed Santa on his cheek in giggles, i felt an impulse to cry and had to look away.

Cuz in that short single moment, I realise the bond between a dad and a daughter is different and sacred. Boys and mum, and Boys with Dad and Girls with mum, are different from Dad with Daughter.

My father adores me when I was young, and I know that feeling. I remembered his wet eyes as he put on my wedding veil and I was indescribably touched. I will always be daddy's girl.

And when i witness that simple kiss, i realise what NJ is missing.. esp since he has always wanted a girl. Even when we were dating, he always had a soft spot for baby girls.

The bond between father and daughter is unique.
Hence, I have been contemplating about having another girl, perhaps... or trying...
cuz having a baby girl will mean a lot for NJ I suspect...
And really complete our family picture perhaps?


Hence, I have been thinking hard..
Follow my heart?

2 comments:

Garden Eden said...

Yes, I encourage you to try....When I see how Baby ELiza bonds with Iain, it's just different...it makes me appreciate Iain more too as I see the softer side of him :)

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

Followers