Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Jay Chou and Boyz


As the hardcore Jay Chou fan, I am now listening to his latest album "Still Fantasy" and it made me think quite a bit about Jay Chou and raising Boys...

I have always been a Jay Chou fan, as a girl, I appreciate his musical talents and love his "bo-chap" attitude.. in the past albums, the references to his mum and some of his socio-polictical stance also made me feel that he is more than your run of the mill usual pop idol..

And contrary to his rebel, bad boy, bo chap image, i feel his songs demonstrated depths of emotions and thoughts (well, Ok not all lyrics are written by him, but his faithful partner Fang Wen Shan), still for someone to identify that talent in words must mean something..

In this album, that is a song 听妈妈的话 (Listen to Mum) written by him (listen to that on En's JukeBox!), with themes of protecting mum and not hurting her... which led me to think that just cuz a boy looks rebellious, it may not mean he is not capable of a close releationship with his mum..

If my boys turn to punk and rock, walks around recalcitrant with a bad boy attitude - should i be worried? Not necessarily - I am thinking.. true, they may not be the meterosexual or the expressive mummy's boys, that does not mean their emotional links to me may be any less right?.. in fact, when i look at Jay chou and the subtle ways in which he has expressed how much his mum meant to him and how aware he is of a mum's love and sacrifice for their children, I am impressed with the depths and subtlety of the emotions..

Often, still water runs deep, this must be what it means.. for boys and men, having a strong character and attitude are important.. being able to stand firm on issues and matters are quintessential.. and of course there is the idealistic vision of the male as the protector of females (oooh, the feminists are gonna kill me, but..) yeah! it will be great to know that my boys cherish and are protective of me..

As a gal - I absolutely adore Jay Chou, and now as a mum, I appreciate the understated and subtle glimpses of his relationship with his mum...

Sometimes we hope our children turn out to be of the usual mould with the usual traits - happy, expressive, contented etc etc.. well, from Jay Chou, I am beginning to think it is important that we have faith in our kids, no matter whether they fall out of the "angelic kid" mould or not..because ultimately love comes in all forms , even in bad boys with a rebel attitude...

No comments:

Followers