Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wonderings..about Batman and Relationship

Been a bit disturbed..
Since we watch 'The Dark Knight' at my company's movie night out..
and after reading Blinkymummy's latest entry on 'This Sweet Young Thing'

Both not seemingly related, but they both highlight the complexities in being a human being.
I love the Dark Knight.. and I think Batman may well be my favorite super-hero.
I will not say too much here as I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone, as it is definitely worth watching, and again.

Its portrayal of different facets of human being is intriguing, and make me think a lot of what human beings are capable of, or not capable of.

I think I like Batman - because he is not the usual save the world kinda hero.
I find Superman too single dimensional. Sipderman a bit of a indecisive whimp ...
But Batman is complex and intrigues the hell out of me..

Well... watch the film.. but be prepared.. it can be dampening.. and really a bit too dark to some's liking..

On the other hand.. Blinkymummy's latest entry of older men liking younger chicks is disturbing to me at an entirely different level.. Sometimes, i think if we think too much of the darker side of things.. and the infinite possibilities for a relationship to go wrong.. i won't even be married at all.

Yet, to not think of these same infinite possibilities of how a relationship can go wrong seem naive to me, especially when observational anecdotes point to their existence. Older men falling for a younger woman, esp. older man who has wife and kids, is only one of the many ways why it is hard to maintain a relationship.

But only very recently, a male colleague was telling me how he has faith in his wife and trusts her to be there for him.
That he knows that his wife will not hesitate to give up her life for him if needed, and vice-versa. Sounds very drama.. but the way he said it, and the conviction with which he said it, really touched me.

Cuz I never really think about my relationship in life and death terms.
And i cannot reconcile having faith in my partner with the infinite possibilities that a relationship can go wrong.
How can one have faith and trust when you see around you, and hear around you of all these stories of mis-placed faith,trust and betrayal.

It sounds to me, that it is a huge gamble to have total faith in your partner when the odds are so high..
Sometimes, I think, while I have faith in my partner, but I do not have faith in the environment/ macro system or in other women. Is that the same as not having faith in my partner?

I really dunno..

Like i think i have psyched myself into thinking half a year's separation will be OK, that it is a short time, and if things are to go wrong, it can jolly well go wrong here. And I rather not dwell on the horrible possibilities, but sometimes hearing or reading about others straying from a relationship get to me. Like now..

Yet, I am also at a stage where I think it is very childish to "track" what your spouse is doing.. Maybe I can't be bothered, I simply do not have the time, or to some extent, i think it belittles me, my self esteem, and who I am, to go to that extent of trying to control the inevitable.

I am very confused about all these, and I apparently do not really have a point of view on this.. kinda, I will like to have faith and trust etc.. all these cerebral concepts I believe, but the reality does not empirically support these concepts, and undermine such concepts, so I am torn between the 2, cuz I do not dare to place my bet.

Maybe that is why Carin Lau puts her relationship to 20 years test before deciding on marriage?

2 comments:

ShanZen - Brightsong said...

I think it's probably your pregnancy hormones at work now, so don't dwell too much on it. :)

BTW if i'm not wrong, it's Tony Leung who is the one procrastinating on the marriage. Anyway, they are finally married lah. A bit entertainment "ba gua" here, but thought it would help to cheer you up. :)

blinkymummy said...

Oh... I just realised that you linked me in your blog. =))

i personally believe that it's good to be slightly pessimistic about life and its contents. =) so you are not alone.

and i can understand how you feel that you have a lot to lose (kids and such...)

beyond a certain point of rationalisation (in paranoia speak, it's otherwise known as 'worrying'), one has to succumb to pure faith.

take it as it comes. if he does fuck around, then have the courage to move on. prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. =)))

Followers