Thursday, October 02, 2008

Standing up For Baby...

One of the things that drives me mad in Beijing is the lack of a non-smoking area in restaurants. Of course, Singapore has spoilt us, but then in my current pregnancy state, I am really conscious and particular about this.

Makes me wonder how pregnant mums in China cope when they eat out or go out, especially in winter.

In restaurants, there are signs that say Non smoking, However, the area is not demarcated from the smoking area most of the time. Hence, technically, still a lot of smoke going around.

But today, I really could not take it anymore.
We stopped for lunch in a nice Cantonese restaurant that serves rather good boiled soup and familiar cantonese dishes. Cuz En says he wanted to have duck with rice, so we opted to go for  this Chinese place.

We requested for a non smoking table and were advised to go up to the second floor. 
After we were seated for a while, a man started to smoke at the non smoking area, 2 tables away. 

I spoke to the waitress and asked her "Is this not a non smoking area?"
Her reply was so long as the rest of the customers do not mind, patrons are allowed to smoke in non smoking area.
So I put my foot down and said that I mind, as I am pregnant.

So the waitress nicely went to remind the gentleman that it is a non smoking area.

Then a father and son pair were seated behind us.
They asked if they are allowed to smoke, and the waiters told them no, that the entire restaurant is non smoking.

Then I saw them nonchalently took out their ciggies and lighter and the son started lighting up, but keeping the cigarette hidden beneath the table.

I asked Hubby to go ask the waitress for a non smoking table, seriously, as the gentleman who was smoking earlier on also started smoking again (probably seeing this guy behind us light up) 

Hubby came back and said something like there is nothing much they can do.
I stood up and was determined to leave, heck the food that we ordered if they cannot find me a table away from the smoke that is poisoning En and the Baby. 

Thankfully, we were able to get a corner seat at the opposite end of the restaurant, free from any tangible proof of smoke.

And I feel that in this respect, some things in China are still very unsophisticated.
With the huge restaurant, the servers ought to be able to seat the patrons based on their smoking preferences to avoid such instance, especially if the restaurant has non smoking signs pasted all over it. 

Then again, it is perhaps just the Chinese system of apparent lawlessness in some situations, especially those when the culture is so deeply embedded in the system. I have nothing against smoking, being a social smoker long time ago and all. 

However, I put my foot down when it comes to the health of the baby.
pregnancy is a heavy responsibility. 
While we go on our daily lives as usual, a life is forming in the womb, every single minute. 
The formation of skin cells and organs, the becoming of a live form, and the babies in the womb are absorbing all that we are taking in to morph into a human being. 

It is a huge responsibility. I feel bad if I do not eat well, if I do not rest well.
And I absolutely will not subject my kids to an unsafe environment, especially the toxic smoke, which is known to be damaging for formation of organs and brain cells.

it is one thing for me to smoke if I want to. After all it is my life.
But when it comes to baby, I want to make sure from inception, the baby has a fair starting point, and not to deliberately subject baby to an unfair start by compromising his development for him when he is inside me.

I am responsible for him the moment he is detected, from the embryo to the development of his foetus and eventually to a full grown baby to be delivered.

hence, I will stand up for baby (literally).. 
and we will struggle to find a smoke free environment for meals from now on.

No comments:

Followers