Thursday, November 16, 2006

Proprietary Mummy Skills

All along, my pregnancy food cravings have been quite a challenge for my hubby to fulfill, cuz I tend to crave for food that I have tasted overseas, like the roadside potatoes wedges we had in Vienna, or the galette in Britanny, the gelato in Venice, the tang yuan in Shanghai.. sometimes I wonder if its the food or that feeling..

Anyway, recently for once, my craving for the "siew mai" (chinese pork dumplings) can be fulfilled, but only those made by my mum... I have always loved my mum's cooking, it has a special quality about it that is hard to replicate... Years later, I still remember some of her signature dishes with fond memories.. and this is a special bond shared between my mum and I..and even now, I will ask her to specially cook those dishes for us..

That got me thinking, that I will want to have some proprietary skills that my kids relish, and for years later, whenever they return home, I will be able to do that for them, or they will always associate and remember me in relation to those fond moments..

Unfortunately, I am not a terrific cook.. i love baking, though i hardly find the time to do so.. Yet I have been toying with an idea recently, that i should start my own special blend of chocolate chip cookies .. Much like my hubby loves the cookies that his mum bakes.. so I will be able to bake that for them weekly or monthly.. and they will grow up loving and remembering those "cookie moments'...

Another skill that I have been thinking of has been the "piano moments", when we move, we will be able to bring along hubby's piano to our newhouse, and En has recently been fascinated with the piano at his cousin's place, and coupled with his enthusiasm for his weekly Kindermusik class, I think music may be a good bonding mode for 2 of us.. and I will be able to overcome my all time regret of being scared off music classes by the evil music teacher!!

So the chocloate chip cookies and piano classes shall form my proprietary Mummy skills that hopefully my kids will appreciate :) though I am still sourcing for the unique blend of chocolate cookie recipe.. all contributions welcomed!!

No comments:

Followers