Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Why I LOVE Hainanese Men...

The recent bustle of moving made me realise that there is good reason to believe the saying that Hainanese men make good husbands.. Well it all started when my mum told me this story:

MY MUM'S STORY
------------------------

My mum told me that when she was very young and working, her colleague one day made an announcement to her fellow co-workers that she wants to marry a Hainanese man, and asked who of the co-workers are Hainanese. And her reason for wanting to marry a Hainanese man stemmed from the belief that Hainanese men are very good husband, that "海南老公疼老婆”(Hainanese men dote on their wives), and that they are caring family men.

So that impression was formed when I was a young girl, this story stuck in my mind and I recall it vividly.

"海南老公疼老婆”

My STORY
--------------

I did not consciously look for Hainanese men as husbands, well, back then, I dun really look for husband, period.

But my hubby did consider having a Hainanese wife so as to preserve his pure Hainanese bloodlines (both his parents are pure Hainanese - i.e descended from parents who are both Hainanese... now I seem to have "corrupted" the bloodlines.. sinner, I am.

Still, when hubby and I were dating, I visited his house one afternoon, and I saw hubby's dad doing the ironing. Wah! Very impressed ok! So he very 疼老婆 to do the ironing - a traditionally female domain of work (ok, not now but think people from the 50s generation)

And his dad can cook, does beautiful flower arrangements and lots of other handycraft stuff. Then I remembered my mum's story and what I saw seem to validate that Hainanese men are GOOD family men material. That was when i went.. hmm, can consider marrying hubby if he is cut from the same cloth..

THE FINAL ASSESSMENT
--------------------------------

And so, recently when we are moving (i keep having to resist the temptation to type "moving house" - ala a direct translation from Mandarin 搬家), once again my father in law proved that Hainanese men are very good family men material.. All the nick nack in our new home are done and managed by him, from fixing the light, wiring the cooker hood and hob, and even moving the electrical socket plugs! Very good handyman!

It can be heart-stopping to see him lift the heavy stuff or climb the tall ladders to do the stuff.. but all his work stem from his devotion to his family - the willingness to go all out to help his son.. Strong sense of family commitment and no wonder they are superb husband and father material.

The Hainanese Men in my Life
------------------------------

Now I have to bring up 2 half Hainanese men, and I think that it is a worthwhile belief for them to uphold, to train the boys to be good family men material and to 疼老婆. My husband does dote on me quite a bit.. well, back when we were dating, I know he will make a good husband when during one of our trips abroad back then, he actually helped me pack and unpack my luggage early in the morning and late at night so that I can catch more sleep..

Now he dotes on our 2 boys and me, so quite tiring for him actually..

Now that I have enjoyed the benefits of marrying a Hainanese man, I must contribute by making sure my boys uphold this Hainanese reputation.. My En and Xuan must first learn how to 疼妈妈, then 疼老婆!! hekhek!

No comments:

Followers