Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Dis-stressing days..

It is all finally coming to an end. The closing of curtains. The End. Fin..

We have to look for a new nanny for my kids. My mum claimed she was too stressed out from looking after our kids. That the kids are causing her to pop pills, spoil her health etc etc... Makes me wonder what the 2 boys do at home to cause such distress to Grandma.. or simply Grandma is feeling the psychological stress of tending to kids..

I think she belongs to the group of people who can't take care of kids.
Some people are like that. But I wished she had been more upfront about it.
I thought she would be able to hang in there till En goes to childcare like 2 yrs old.. only about 3 more mths away or so..

But looking at the list of grievances faced, I think the end is here.

We looked for a new nanny in 3 days.
She is not the best, nor the most ideal..

But i give up, or maybe i give in.
To sub-standard care..

Then again, who says that they can't care better than my mum, who is after all, a novice at looking after kids.

These nannies are experts in their field.

I dunno what is the best scenario anymore.
I supposed I could consider doing part time to stay home with the kids...

I think, maybe, we stumbled upon the reason why Singaporeans do not give birth to kids, because there is no one to look after their kids.

Many of our parents come from the "Enlightened" era. Financial freedom, golden years are their theme songs. They do not live to look after our kids. How many can be like the dad of my ex classmate, who is super hands on with her new born baby? I really take my hat off HH's dad..

Hence, the rise of institutional childcare. Commercial entities dedicated to solve the modern mum's problem.

But like Von say, nothing beats actual grandparents' care.. But perhaps, En and Xuan are not very lucky babies, as their grandparents are not very committed to their care..

Then again, if we ourselves do not care for our kids, how can we expect our parents to do the job for us... Life is full of such tensions, such conflicts...

I refuse to feel bad. That I have chosen not to be a stay at home mum for the kids.
But do I really want En and Xuan to grow up amid strangers?
I do not have an answer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

getting a suitable caregiver for baby is not easy, and i'm thankful my parents were willing to help out.
But i worry for their health too, esp my dad who's a diabetic. He used to jog in the morning, healthy lifestyle, but now that he has to feed LeLe at night, (and LeLe still wakes up quite frequently at night) he's usually sleepy in the mornings.
I feel bad to see them so tired, yet I'm physically tired after long hours at work to take over the night feeds. sigh. think work life balance is just a myth

HH

Anonymous said...

getting a suitable caregiver for baby is not easy, and i'm thankful my parents were willing to help out.
But i worry for their health too, esp my dad who's a diabetic. He used to jog in the morning, healthy lifestyle, but now that he has to feed LeLe at night, (and LeLe still wakes up quite frequently at night) he's usually sleepy in the mornings.
I feel bad to see them so tired, yet I'm physically tired after long hours at work to take over the night feeds. sigh. think work life balance is just a myth

HH

Anonymous said...

Hey, maybe aunty is under going another stage of her life that every woman and man are going through...hope you understand what I meant here.

Followers