Sunday, August 12, 2007

Men, Piano and the Phone

We recently just completed Spring Waltz - the final part to the 4 seasons Korean drama (Winter Sonata, Autumn in my Heart and Summer Scent)..

And today, we just went to watch Jay Chou's movie, the Secret. And I recently caught the MV of its theme song 不能说的秘密, and what struck me as a common theme is : Men, the Piano and the telephone.

Catch the scenes from the following Youtube videos..



One of my favourite scenes from Spring Waltz..

And of course, Jay Chou is just simply divine..



I was also reading an interview that Jay Chou gave during his recent trip to Singapore to promote his movie, he said that love is an essential part of an artist's life, love is the muse of the artist and it is from love that artists derive their inspiration from.

Well, there is something to be said about men playing the piano.. quite captivating, to me, at least. and especially so, when the song is dedicated to a special someone, and conveyed through any of the following means:

- through the mobile phone
- through a live dedication in a restaurant, concert etc
- simply played to that special someone in private

I find a man - being serious about music, very captivating. I dunno why, maybe its the aura, maybe its the music and the talent. But in both Spring Waltz and in the movie the Secret, I find the men playing piano simply awesome. (and hubby told me something about him experiencing something similar in his younger days... well.. to get even, I also have my share of a boy calling me up and singing to me through the phone, till i fall asleep - like a luluby for me, now is that sweet or what?! Though I am sure I will be much more impressed if that someone had played the piano instead..)

But well.. I just love seeing men playing the pianos! Especially if it to to a special someone.,,

One part of me wish that my boys will grow up playing the piano. I imagine them playing duets for house parties and festives. Nice. Well, but the other part of me know that I will not force the boys to learn the piano, but I hope to give them the exposure so that it is their choice if they will like to pursue the love of music.

I think the appreciation of art forms - be it music, painting, literature, plays etc are very important. I feel that the arts nurture the soul, and the mind.. Especially music and painting. They are like a language of their own, communicating emotions and thoughts through their own means. It is another way through which one can express oneself.

Hence, I feel that taking time to learn, think and immerse oneself in any of these art forms are important. Hubby and I love to read, we rather like music, and hubby appreciates drawings.. I just hope between the 2 of us, we have sufficient genes to pass on to the 2 boys so that they too, allow the arts to form a vibrant part of their lives.

Otherwise, sometimes I feel we miss seeing the other side of the world that these art forms bring.. perhaps it is a form of escapism - allowing us to dwell into the past or imagine the future through these art forms, rather than being only in the present.. Yes, I think the arts liberate the mind and the soul, providing us a means to Be in another world.. one which sometimes, is privy only to oneself, a connection that sometimes only one can make, a door that only allows one to open and to enter.

That is to me, the power of the various art forms.. when I listen to a beautiful piece of music, or see a beautiful piece of lyrics/ text, or an amazing painting, I feel my mind wandering from the present into another space. A space which exists only between the artist/ writer/ musician and me. And what I take out from that, belongs to me and me alone. Until a fellow person appreciate it the same way as I do... and I value that space very very much. And those who share those same spaces as I do..

No comments:

Followers