Friday, September 26, 2008

Time, you spin it so fast for the kids...

Babies do grow up fast...
It has been a really hectic week, and I have to wk some late nights this week. Just between not seeing the kids for some nights this week, i have one of those moments when I feel as if En has grown overnight in my absence.

My mum told me that En told her that he had not seen me for 2 nights already, that I have not read and pat him to bed for 2 nights..

He can Count!
And i feel bad. I feel that the days of my working career seems short-lived.. In the past when I travel, and work late nights, the kids do not have cognitive understanding of time, and they do not recognise my short absence.

Now, I feel the pressure to be here for them, and a tad guilty that En has to miss me.

Child-ly reminders!
Over dinner tonight, we talked about the upcoming concert on 25 Oct. I was asking him what he will be performing in the graduation concert for the K2s (where the rest of the kids are encouraged to take part and have a role to play).

When I asked him that, he mumbled something..
I asked him again, and the same muffled reply came, but it sounds something like "birthday"... which is hard to fathom how it is related to the concert.
Again, I asked him the question- what he would be doing for the concert, and the reply was still "birthday".

The it struck me, the day after the concert, on 26 Oct is really his birthday! It really slipped my mind - that in a month's time, he will be 3!

I wonder if he really knows that the concert is a day before his birthday, someone probably told him or reminded him. And he reminded me.

And when i absent-mindedly put his spoon for sharing my food resting on a plate of chilli sauce, he told me "Mummy, can you no put my spoon on the chilli, spicy spicy.."

During times like this, I feel that my baby has grown.
Grown almost overnight.
I am constantly astonished by his increasingly cognition of what is happening in this world.
Maybe because I feel that he is still a toddler, who should still be naive and innocent of many things.

His awareness amazed me.. maybe I am not prepared, or I have not really thought about how kids have grown.

And i feel very blessed to witness such moments. To be here for him as he grows more cognizant of the world around him.

It is one of the many rewards of motherhood.

No comments:

Followers