Monday, September 01, 2008

1st Night in Beijing..

Today, we really scrambled to catch our flight.. 
And are lucky enough to be with Team Singapore travelling for the Para-Olympics..
Yes, there was a Ra-Ra send off at the airport, though we were too harassed to appreciate it...

And I saw Mr. Ang Peng Shiong on the flight, eseated a few rows in front of me..
He looks good man.. fit and atheletic.. 
And I think he likes diet coke a lot.. at least I saw him drink a couple throughout the flight... :)

We did our first Skype with the kids today..
Cuz En En said he wanted "to see Mummy and Papa in the computer.." so we came back to the hotel to Skype before having dinner..

Xuan sees very amused by our voices and images.. and He finally called Papa.. as usual - all my kids call Papa first...

And he said his 'Bye.. see you" with his usual enthusiasm and with gusto.. (Xuan cannot really speak yet, and I am worried whether he will have any problems as I thought second kids are supposed to speak faster as they learnt from other kids! Even up till 2 weeks ago, his vocan consist of 'There!', Chu-chu [sound of thomas the train], and a whole range of mumbo jumbo that I cannot coprehend. he only picked up the 'Bye' recently, and something that sounds very much like 'See you!' as he loves to go out very much and relish bidding bye to others.)

On the flight, hubby said he missed the kids already.. And I think well, I am lucky to be going home to them.. But I have not figure out how i will take the leaving hubby part yet.

Today have been tiring, gone to the bank, visited one prospect house.. and we are too tired to do anything else. Will have to view many more houses tomorrow. 

Checked out Watsons, which has Similac made in Demark.. but at a local supermarket, I cannot find Drypers - only exorbitant Mummy Poko and Pampers. 

And hubby and I came to one conclusion. We know finally why expats congregate in areas like Holland V, or in town in Singapore. Only very recently do we see more expats in local neighborhood.

I think local neighborhood can help save a lot of money, as things are cheaper - the local neighborhood we visited this afternoon is very convenient with market, lots of eateries, hair salons, fruit stores, vegetable stores, supermarket etc... and all at seemingly very affordable prices. But I was thinking where to get the ang-mo ham and sausages, the pasta sauce etc etc.
And hubby wonder where he is gonna hang out after school (ala a a Starbucks or something).
One of the locations we are viewing tomorrow is next to Carrefour and Starbucks, I am thinking that may make me settle in faster.

I mean, if I am single or a couple working in China, I probably will rent the designer couple's unit this afternoon, as the house is fine (need some customisation to be our style) and the neighborhood is very locally- self sufficient.

But I find something is missing. The 'western' flavor seems missing. I mean I am all for localising etc, but with 2 tods and a baby, I think I also need more of homey feeling, assurance and be able to find things etc that makes me feel less home-sick. 

Hence, our conclusion that we will live in areas that have a bit more mixture of China-local-ness and the advent of western, mega brands like StarBucks and Carrefour..

Let's see.. 
Now I am gonna hit the bed.. my legs are sore and I swear I have more spidey veins from all the walking this afternoon..

No chance to take photos yet, but will do definitely.. some really nice sights, and I like Beijing.. 
It is not so commercial like SH - the old architecture and sense of elite, scholarly history intrigues me.. .:)

5 comments:

ShanZen - Brightsong said...

do take extra care when you're moving about. :) wow, i feel it's very gungho of you traveling far to Beijing in your pregnancy. For me, would feel so tired and lazy to even make a trip to Malaysia. :p

JoyfulJazzyMummy said...

actually a little bit of travelling is good, i think. Except for biz trips =P

take the chance to rest more and spend more time with NJ.

hey, now we are short of NJ's line of communication (though can email him), do keep us updated when little prince pops out yah =)

Baby En said...

thanks for concern.. I am fine.. and quite enjoy the time here as I am particular abt the details.. which are impt..

I have always travelled during the second tri.. before I am grounded for at least a good 9 mths when the baby comes..

And this time round, I may have to travel for wk too.. some to bring me to China to see NJ maybe, another to some nearby countries.. let's see how I feel when I go back..

Baby won't pop till CNY, long time coming :)

Skyy Low 刘乐天 said...

U r amazing man! Unbelievable and I'm speechless...

Skyy Low 刘乐天 said...

U r amazing man! Unbelievable and I'm speechless...

Followers