Friday, December 29, 2006

Reality Check...

Recently when Xuan was admitted to KK hospital, I experienced a Reality Check...

I was assigned to breastfeed Xuan at one of the wards in the Women's maternity wing.. and the starkness of the ward shocked me.. NO aircon, no TV, no phone.. just the bed and the bare essentials... Even the toilet was some distance away..

I had to check with husband - there are some of us who deliver babies in such wards? I thought back to my double bed, aircon with TV ward and felt a bit ashamed for complaining about my neighbour who snored (for En's delivery) or the inconsiderate staff who kept forgetting to switch off my lights when they exit the room..

Sometimes, I think too "present" in our own situation may distance us from reality.. e.g. hanging out with friends of common background, working in power offices where one's peers tend to be of the same social status or better...

We tend to forget that there are many who live without the little luxuries that we have taken for granted sometimes. And each time i experience such reality check, I vow to count my little blessing and not be such a bitch sometimes - when I should really 惜福 and appreciate what I have been blessed..

Just like the visit that Hubby and I made to see the MP, 2 of us really feel like sore thumbs sticking out.. there are so many others who have bread and butter issues to resolve, such as PUB bills, family in dire state etc..

Sometimes being too caught in the present may make us oblivious to the wider world out there..
It is not a issue of superiority, just that when the going gets tough for us, besides wallowing in our misery, perhaps we should open our minds wider and have a real-ity check...

No comments:

Followers